A Snippet of History
On a cool and rainy fall day in 1964, founder John Henry Pattee stumbled upon an old and tattered file folder. Inside, John found an invoice showing a brick sale to a local customer and in the upper left corner, a year date of 1917. That's just six years after postal home mail started being delivered in Puyallup for the first time. The company name is missing from the invoice, but many speculate the company name on the invoice never printed until the following decade. The earliest invoice document we've been able to find in print displays a date of January 30th, 1920.
Back then, Shope was known to Western Washington as "Puyallup Shope Brick" which carried this name until the mid 1960's. In 1964, Shope was purchased by John Henry Pattee, and later incorporated in 1965 as Shope Enterprises, and still doing business today as Shope Concrete LLC, a Travis Industries company.